Tenure Track or Clinical Track Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor – Neurology (R1530)
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, located in Ames, Iowa, invites applications for a full-time, clinical-track or tenure-track faculty position in Neurology and neurosurgery. The qualifications, documented experience, and interests of the selected candidate will determine appointment rank.
The successful applicant will have a unique opportunity to help build a modern clinical neurology service in an environment rich with opportunity for clinical service, teaching, and research. The neurology service will work in collaboration with other specialty services to provide exceptional patient care and customer services to our constituents in Iowa, the Midwest, and the nation. The percentage effort associated with these combined activities will be determined by mutual agreement between the candidate and the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences.
The selected candidate will be committed to the delivery of exceptional patient care, share an enthusiastic dedication to education and will contribute to the enhancement of the national prominence of neurology and other sections practicing in the Lloyd Veterinary Medical Center (LVMC). The successful candidate will also have a collegial, collaborative attitude and willingness to participate in all levels of technician, student, and house officer education. The development of an active clinical research program as PI or collaborative researcher is strongly encouraged. The candidate will be highly self-motivated, innovative, and will possess excellent communication skills and experience working with a diverse population. Furthermore, the candidate will demonstrate professional maturity with a leadership style that contributes to a positive culture, and have a compassionate and empathetic nature towards the clients and patients of the LVMC. All employees are expected to exhibit and convey good citizenship within the program, the department, college, university activities, collegial interactions, and maintain the highest standards of integrity and ethical behavior.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- DVM or equivalent degree.
- Successful completion of an American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (subspecialty of Neurology) (ACVIM), or European College of Veterinary Neurology (ECVN) approved residency training program. Candidates in their third year of an approved neurology residency training program will also be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- State of Iowa Veterinary License on or before the first day of employment.
In addition to the requirements above, below are minimum qualifications at the following ranks:
- CLINICAL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR: An established record of experience and scholarship in neurology, including board-certification, an advanced degree, and/or extensive experience in the respective professional field.
- CLINICAL PROFESSOR: Qualifications for the rank of Clinical Associate Professor, board-certification, and an established record of national or international recognition for academic and professional accomplishments.
- ASSOCIATE OR FULL PROFESSOR: An established record of experience and scholarship appropriate to each rank at Iowa State University, including board-certification and nationally or internationally recognized scholarship.
- An advanced degree (MS, PhD, or equivalent degree [including research fellowship experience]) in neurology or related field.
- A record of or notable potential for scholarship obtained through manuscript publication/preparation, or national scholarly, clinical, or educational presentations, or evidence of having applied for, received, or completed grants/funding.
- Additional years of experience in clinical veterinary neurology.
Board certified in the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in the subspecialty of Neurology.
Department/Program & College Description:
The LVMC is a state-of-the-art facility designed to provide specialized care and comprehensive medical and surgical services for companion and large animals throughout Iowa and surrounding states. Our clinicians, residents, interns, technicians, staff, and senior veterinary students work collaboratively to provide 24-hour, high-quality care to animal patients. As the nation’s first public veterinary school, Iowa State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine takes pride in its heritage while shaping the future of veterinary professional practice, education, research and service.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
Ames, Iowa is a progressive community of 60,000, located approximately 30 minutes north of Des Moines, and recently voted one of the best college towns in the nation.
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following: 1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae 2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter 3) Contact Information for Three References